Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Ma Hull's Boarding House

In the early 1970s, all walks of life found their way to the covered porch at 122 Hurt Street, ready to take a seat at Ma Hull's table. Politicians, students, policemen, retirees, rock stars. They all got hungry for some Southern homecooking, and Ma Hull could cook like no one else.

Ma Hull's Boarding House
122 Hurt Street, Atlanta GA

In the early 1900s, this house, pictured above, in Atlanta's Inman Park neighborhood was known as the Candler Cottage. It had been home to Asa Candler's sister Florence Harris. (Candler was Atlanta mayor 1916-1919 and a Coca-Cola tycoon.) Mrs Vernon Daisy Grizzle Hull, aka "Ma Hull," and her husband Ross moved into the historic home around 1968 and took in boarders. Word-of-mouth about her delicious meals spread from the boarders to friends and went viral from there. People started showing up on the porch at mealtimes with mighty appetites. Food was served family-style, "pass the yams, please," and Ma Hull did not approve of leftovers. Ma [everyone called her "Ma"] would not let anyone leave the table until all the food had been consumed. I remember her threatening to spoon the rest of the banana pudding into someone's pants unless they went for seconds, even thirds. It wasn't difficult to comply, no matter how full we became. The spread included ham, ribs, roast beef, chicken, dressing, beans (string and butter), yams, greens, casseroles, cornbread, biscuits, and desserts. Oh god, the desserts: most famously her banana pudding, also various cakes and pies. We all felt like we might die by dinner's end, but it was nevertheless bliss. A recovery period relaxing on the porch or in the yard was required after every meal.

Ma Hull's dining table, 1974,
photo by Roger Allen Grigg, 
The Great Speckled Bird, Vol. 7 No. 13, April 1, 1974

Ma Hull's Boarding House became a pilgrimage destination as her reputation grew. Management at midtown rock club Richards often made sure their out-of-town acts experienced meals at the boarding house. I recall tagging along with Flo and Eddie, also Sopwith Camel, with a friend from the club. Ma's stalwart fanbase grew to include touring musicians such as Little Feat (pictured below), even Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

Little Feat, friends, and family gathered around Ma Hull (seated, holding baby.)
Lowell George, in center, stands behind her.

Ma Hull, by 1974, had cut back to serving only one meal daily at suppertime. Her health was deteriorating. She suffered from diabetes and heart disease. Born in 1909, she died in May 1979 at the age of 69. Decades later, I have yet to encounter any dining experience that comes close to the boisterous family feast Ma Hull served up for so many of us. Incomparable.

Sources:
Inman Park, by Christine V. Marr and Sharon Foster, Arcadia Publishing, 2008
The Great Speckled Bird, Vol. 7 No. 13, April 1, 1974, "A Conversation with Ma Hull," by David Dyar Massey

11 comments:

  1. I miss u grandma you are my heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the pleasure and honor to enjoy her food fest when I played Alex Cooleys Ballroom around 73-74. Like this article says it was the only southern recipes that were as great as my mom...aka Ma Hodge. I didn't get to go there again and for that I regret. THANKS MA HULL TAKING CARE OF ALL YOUR CHILDREN INCLUDING MY WHOLE BAND...DELUXE FROM DETROIT...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeffrey ("Jeff") KrinskyFebruary 3, 2021 at 2:48 PM

    I visited Ma Hulls in the 70s – I was attending school in Florida and two friends (Jeffrey and Russel Weiner) were attending Emory. One drive to Florida from NY I stopped to visit my friends in Atlanta. We had dinner at Ma Hull’s. They shared that it was a well know local place with fantastic 100% homemade southern cooking. Wow were they ever right about that. After an enormous meal with lots of choices I was blow away with the desserts – amazing cakes and pies were served, and all homemade that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited ma several time in college at Emory. I was relating a memory to my amateur cook son and on a whim looked it up. The table, meanie and the clientele matched my recolections to a tee. Thank you Ma'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another monent of the vanishing South.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings Everyone ! Grandchild , Great Grandchild , The Band Member that played at Skex Copley’s Electric Ballroom . I will be 71 in a few weeks and my girls are 52 and 50 . When Ma Hull transitioned they were 9 and 7 . At Ma Hull’s you sat together and Broke Bread together! So . I had the blessing of eating home cooked ( with love❤️) food at Ma Hull’s, and Alex Cooley brought THE BEST OF THE BEST TO ATLANTA . Thank you all for sharing memories of such a wonderful place in this City. 🙏🏾❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just entered Ma Hull's name hoping to find some of her recipes listed somewhere. I arrived Atlanta early '70s.A NYC transport via
    California and ended up living just a few blocks from the boarding house. I believe it was a musician friend who turned me on to Ma Hull. Anyway it was my first introduction to real southern food, many of which I never had before. I admired Ma for her loving businessLoving business--like efficiency

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cont. As I was saying - loved ma, her cooking n communal eating.Tad Noisier than The Zen monastery I was used to in Ca.1stSouthern food I ever had n much of it never tasted before. So Good! If anyone knows how she made that squash casserole, please post it here. Got to go hungry now.Thank you

    ReplyDelete